Veterynarna biotehnologija – Veterinary biotechnology, 2016, 28, 173-181 [in Ukrainian].
Institute of Veterinary Medicineof NAAS
National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine
Experimental Station of Epizootology of the Institute of Veterinary Medicine of NAAS
SPECIFICS OF ENZOOTIC BOVINE LEUKOSIS SPREADING IN UKRAINE AND ITS DETERMINING FACTORS
Introduction. Enzootic Bovine Leukosis (EBL) present in Ukraine for more than 60 years. Currently the country overcomed epizooty of diseases. Nevertheless, sporadic cases of bovine leukemia virus infection continued registered annually. It could cause development of a new epizooty.
The goal of the work was to establish the prevalence of EBL in Ukraine and determine factors that could facilitate new manifestation spreading of disease.
Materials and methods. Data of official veterinary statistics, materials of publications and results of own research were used. The results were evaluated using epizootological, analytical and statistical methods.
Results of research and discussion. By the middle of the last century our country was free of Enzootic Bovine Leukosis. The first case of disease was registered in Kharkiv region in 1953. The main reason of it appearance was import of infected animals from Western European countries where disease was present. Since that time, EBL was spread through the country.
The implementation of the Agar Gel-Immunodiffusion Test (AGID) in 1988 made possible to detect animals at the early stage of Bovine leucosiswith subsequent elimination them from the herds. As a result, epizooty of Bovine leukosis was overcomed. Nevertheless, sporadic cases of BLV infection continued registered annually. In October 2015 10 stations with presence of Bovine leukosis were in two regions of Ukraine (Rivne region – 1, Kharkiv – 9). It poses a risk of recurrence of Bovine leukosis epizooty in previously recovered farms (as it had happened in the Zakarpattia region, Volyn and Rivne). For the past 6 years, sporadic manifestation of disease was caused mainly by such subjective factors as a non-performance of prevention and control measures in the farms of Ukraine.
Conclusion and prospects for future research. For the past years, the number of Enzootic Bovine Leukosis foci was reduced in Ukraine. It was occurred due to methodical using of specific diagnostic methods that contributed to early detection and elimination of sources of BLV infection.
Nevertheless, infection is still registered in our country that could be caused by such subjective factors as failure of using prevention and controlling measures in some farms. The successful eradication of disease is possible with strict implementation of the instructions of EBL prevention and control.
Keywords: Enzootic Bovine Leukosis, epidemiologic situation, prevalence.
- Gorzheyev, V.M. (2013). Suchasnyy epizootychnyy stan yak zaklyuchnyy etap eradykatsiyi leykozu velykoyi rohatoyi khudoby v Ukrayini [Actual epizootic situation as the final stage of Bovine Leukemia eradication in Ukraine]. Veterynarna medytsyna – Veterinary medicine, Vol. 97, 164–166 [in Ukraine].
- Gorbatenko, S.K., Gerilovych, A.P., Shapovalova, O.B., Korneykov, O.M. & ta in. (2013). Do vyvchennya epizootychnoyi sytuatsiyi z leykozu VRKh ta henetychnykh osoblyvostey zbudnyka v riznykh heohrafichnykh zonakh Ukrayiny [Study of epizootic situation on bovine leukosis and genetic variations of the pathogen in different geographic zones of Ukraine]. Veterynarna medytsyna – Veterinary medicine, Vol. 97, 167–169 [in Ukraine].
- Epizootychna sytuatsiya v Ukrayini stanom na zhovten' 2015 roku [Epizootic situation in Ukraine in October 2015] / http://www.vet.gov.ua/node/4321 [in Ukraine].
- Ivanov, O.V., Ivanova O.Y. Fedotov, V.P. & dr. (2008). Effektivnost serologicheskih metodov issledovaniya pri leykoze krupnogo rogatogo skota [The effectiveness of serological methods for Enzootic bovine leukosis detection]. Veterinarya – Veterinary, Vol. 7, 6–8. [in Russian].
- Instruktsiya z profilaktyky ta ozdorovlennya velykoyi rohatoyi khudoby vid leykozu, zatverdzhena Derzhavnym komitetom veterynarnoyi medytsyny Ukrayiny [Instruction of prevention and recovery of cattle from leukosis, approved by the State Committee of Veterinary Medicine of Ukraine]. 21.12.2007 № 21 [in Ukraine].
- Mandyhra, M.S. (1999). Prostorovo-chasova dynamika intensyvnosti epizootychnoho protsesu leykozu velykoyi rohatoyi khudoby v Ukrayini [Space and temporal dynamics of intensity of Bovine leukosis epizootic process in Ukraine]. Visnyk bilotserkiv. derzh. ahrar. un-tu.: Zb. nauk. prats' – Bulletin of bilotserkiv. state. agrar. univ .: Coll. science works, Vol. 9, 114–120 [in Ukraine].
- Gorbatenko, S.K., Shapovalova, O.B., Korneykov, O.M., Zdanevych, P.P. ta in. (2014). Napryamky zapobihannya retsydyvu epizootiyi leykozu velykoyi rohatoyi khudoby [Directions of Bovine Leukemia epizootic relapse prevention]. Veterynarna medytsyna – Veterinary medicine, Vol. 98, 84–87 [in Ukraine].
- Gulyukin, M.I., Valihov, A.F., Nahmanson, V.M. ta in. (2008). Osobennosti infektsionnogo protsessa, indutsirovannogo virusom leykoza krupnogo rogatogo skota. [Features of infection induced by bovine leukemia virus]. Sovremennoe sostoyanie i perspektivyi issledovaniy po infektsionnoy i protozoynoy patologii zhivotnyih, ryib i pchel: Materialyi mezhdunarodnoy nauch.-prakt. konf. – Current state and perspectives of infectious and protozoa diseases researches in animals, fishes and bees: Materials of the international scientific and practical conference, 106–113 [in Russian].
- Stegniy, B.T., Shapovalova, O.V., Gorbatenko, S.K., Korneykov, A.N., Gorzheev, V.M. (2013). Sovremennyie aspektyi leykoza krupnogo rogatogo skota [Current aspects of Bovine leukemia]. Veterinarna meditsina – Veterinary medicine, Vol. 97, 242–255 [in Russian].
- Busol, V.A., Kiprich, V.V., Tsyimbal, V.I., & Soloveva, L.R. (1987). Sovremennyie metody diagnostiki i borby s leykozami s/h zhivotnyh [Modern diagnostic and control methods of leukemia in farm animals]. Nauchn. osn. prof. i borby s zabolevaniamy s/h zhivotnyh: Sbor. nauchn. trudov - Scientific basis of prevention and control of animal diseases, 12-16 [in Russian].
- Chapter 2.4.11. Enzootic Bovine Leukosis OIE Terrestrial Manual. (2012), 11 р.
- Enzootic bovine leucosis. Disease timelines. Disease information. World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) / http://www.oie.int/wahis_2/public/wahid.php/Diseaseinformation/Diseasetimelines.
- James, Evermann (2014). Cause for Concern: Bovine Leukemia Virus. Ag animal health Veterinary Medicine Extension – Washington State University, 1-5.
Download full text in PDF