Veterynarna biotehnologija – Veterinary biotechnology, 2019, 35, 71-80 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.31073/vet_biotech35-09
Vitebsk State Academy of Veterinary Medicine, Republic of Belarus
Institute of Veterinary Medicine NAAS, Ukraine
STUDYING THE ANTI-VIRUS ACTIVITY OF A WATER-SOLUBLE FORM OF PROPOLIS
Introduction. Recently, the use of propolis and drugs based on it in veterinary medicine has been widely spread. A number of unique pharmacological effects have been established – antioxidant, antiviral, virostatic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, cardioprotective, antidiabetic. By origin, propolis or bee glue is a mixture produced by bees from beeswax, pollen, bee bread, secretions and mechanical substances. The healing properties of propolis are related to its origin and chemical composition – it contains more than 180 compounds these are plant phytoncides, organic acids, terpene compounds, resinous acids and alcohols, artipillin, phenols, tannins, wax balms, essential oils, flavonoids, amino acids, insignificant amount of B-group vitamins.
The goal of the work was to study the antiviral activity of a water-soluble form of propolis against the virus of bovine infectious rinotracheitis and viral bovine diarrhea in cattle.
Materials and methods. For the study, we prepared two-fold dilutions of the water-soluble form of propolis from 1:2 to 1:4096 (12 dilutions), viruses were diluted with 100 TCID50 / 0.1 ml, and diluted viruses were added to each dilution of propolis. Then after contact, the mixture was placed in a cell culture, contact was made, and after removing the reaction mixture and adding supporting medium, it was placed in a CO2 incubator. The results were recorded every day by carefully comparing the test and control wells.
Results of research and discussion. The antiviral activity of the water-soluble form of propolis against the BVD virus with a partial cytopathic effect was observed at a dilution of 1:8, and for an IBR of the BVD at a dilution of 1:32 after 48 hours of incubation.
Conclusions and prospects for further research. The results obtained allow the use of water-soluble forms of propolis for the design of antiviral drugs.
Keywords: antiviral activity, propolis, infectious rhinotracheitis virus, viral diarrhea virus.
- Kovalev, N.A. (Eds.). (2016). Biologicheskie preparaty dlya profilaktiki virusnyh zabolevanij zhivotnyh: razrabotka i proizvodstvo v Belarusi [Biological preparations for the prevention of viral diseases of animals: development and production in Belarus]. Minsk: Belaruskaya navuka [in Russian].
- Ivanova, I.P. & Krasochko, P.A. (2000). Infitsirovannost stad krupnogo rogatogo skota vozbuditelyami respiratornyih infektsiy v hozyaystvah Minskoy oblasti [Infection of cattle herds with pathogens of respiratory infections in farms of the Minsk region]. Mezhdunarodnaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya “Aktualnyye problemy patologii selskokhozyaystvennykh zhivotnykh” – International scientific-practical conference “Actual problems of pathology of farm animals”. (pp. 105-106). Minsk: BelNIIEV [in Russian].
- Yatusevich, A.I. et al. (2010). Differentsialnaya diagnostika bolezney zhivotnyih [Differential diagnosis of animal diseases]. Vitebsk: VGAVM [in Russian].
- Yatusevich, A.I. et al. (2016). Novyie i vozvraschayuschiesya bolezni zhivotnyih [New and returning animal diseases]. Vitebsk: VGAVM [in Russian].
- Krasochko, P.A. & Eremiya, N.G. (2013). Produktyi pchelovodstva v veterinarnoy meditsine [Bee products in veterinary medicine]. Minsk: IVTs Minfina [in Russian].
- Poltorzhitskaya, R. (2013). Propolis – udivitelnyiy produkt pchelovodstva [Propolis – an amazing product of beekeeping]. Nashe selskoye khozyaystvo. Veterinariya i zhivotnovodstvo – Our agriculture. Veterinary and livestock, 22, 74-78 [in Russian].
- Pestis, V.K. et al. (2015). Pchelovodstvo. Praktikum: uchebnoe posobie dlya studentov uchrezhdeniy vyisshego obrazovaniya po spetsialnosti «Zootehniya» [Beekeeping. Textbook for students of institutions of higher education in the specialty "Zootechny"]. Minsk: Novoe znanie [in Russian].
- Sinyakov, A.F. (2010). Unikalnyie svoystva propolisa [The unique properties of propolis]. Pchelovodstvo – Beekeeping, 5, 47 [in Russian].
- Harchenko, N.N. & Ryindin, V.E. (2015). Pchelovodstvo: uchebnik dlya studentov vuzov, obuchayuschihsya po napravleniyam podgotovki «Agrohimiya i pochvovedenie», «Agrohimiya», «Sadovodstvo», «Lesnoe delo», «Ekologiya i prirodopolzovanie» [Beekeeping: a textbook for university students enrolled in the areas of preparation “Agrochemistry and soil science”, “Agrochemistry”, “Gardening”, “Forestry”, “Ecology and nature management”]. (2d ed.). Moscow: INFRA-M [in Russian].
- Kaygorodov, R.V. et al. (2013). Vodorastvorimyie biologicheski aktivnyie veschestva propolisa raznogo proishozhdeniya [Water-soluble biologically active substances of propolis of different origin]. Pchelovodstvo – Beekeeping, 10, 50-52 [in Russian].
- Gosmanov, R.G. & Galiullin, A.K. (2013). Ispyitanie lekarstvennyih preparatov propolisa pri terapii bolezney selskohozyaystvennyih zhivotnyih [Test of medicinal drugs of propolis in the treatment of diseases of farm animals]. Veterinarnyiy vrach – Veterinarian, 3, 48-49 [in Russian].
- Krasochko, I.A., Krasochko, P.A. & Vyisochina, E.S. (2011). Produktyi pchelovodstva dlya profilaktiki immunodefitsitov i zheludochno-kishechnyih rasstroystv u telyat rannego postnatalnogo perioda [Beekeeping products for the prevention of immunodeficiencies and gastrointestinal disorders in calves of the early postnatal period]. Ulaschika, V.S. (Eds.). Pchelolechenie v Belarusi: sbornik nauchnyih trudov – Bee treatment in Belarus: a collection of scientific papers, 257-261 [in Russian].
- Krasochko, P.A., Zuykevich, T.A. & Kurbat, I.A. (2010). Korrektsiya mikrobiotsenoza u telyat pri patologii zheludochno-kishechnogo trakta probiotikami i produktami pchelovodstva [Correction of microbiocenosis in calves with pathology of the gastrointestinal tract by probiotics and bee products]. Pchelolechenie v Belarusi: sbornik nauchnyih trudov – Bee treatment in Belarus: a collection of scientific papers, 229-236 [in Russian].
Download full text in PDF