Veterynarna biotehnologija – Veterinary biotechnology, 2020, 36, 128-137 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.31073/vet_biotech36-13
Sumy National Agrarian University
Institute of Veterinary Medicine NAAS
ASSESSMENT OF ADG DISINFECTANT CUMULATIVE AND METABOLIC RATE EFFECT IN LABORATORY ANIMALS
Introduction. The ADG disinfectant contains glutaraldehyde, benzalkonium chloride, dodecyldimethylammonium chloride, isopropyl alcohol in certain proportions. Preventive disinfection is performed in the poultry farms, therefore it is necessary to determine the safety of the disinfectant to the macroorganism.
The goal of the work. Determination of ADG disinfectant cumulative and metabolism rate effect on the organism of laboratory animals.
Materials and methods. White rats were used for toxicity determination. Animals of three-month age weighing 180-200 g (Wistar line) were selected in two groups experimental and control of 15 rats each. Studies of the level of cumulative toxicity were performed using "Subchronic Toxicity" by K.S. Lim and co-authors method in K.K. Sidorov modification. The experimental group received ADG disinfectant orally by 380 mg/kg of body weight of the rat or 1/10 DL50. Every 4 days the dose was gradually increased by 1.5 times. During the experiment, the clinical condition and death of experimental animals were monitored.
Results of research and discussion. It was experimentally determined that the LD50 of ADG disinfectant per rat used for 20 days was 20040 mg/kg. It is proved that the ADG disinfectant has a weak cumulative effect with a cumulation coefficient of 5.27 units. The tests on white rats showed that solution of disinfectant ADG demonstrates weak cumulative peculiarities. On the 20th day the animals had an appetite, normal functional state of the central nervous system. The shape of liver was enlargement with tension of the capsule, the color was uneven.
Conclusions and prospects for further research. ADG disinfectant caused toxic effects on animals in high doses, which was manifested by a significant decrease in body weight of laboratory animals within 20 days; significant increase in the coefficients of mass of hematopoietic organs, such as liver – by 23.8%, spleen – by 15.2% and mass of kidneys by 30.1% (p <0.001), compared with similar indicators in control group. The ADG side effects to organism of laboratory animals is under our study.
Keywords: ADG disinfectant, internal organ mass index, toxicity, animal body weight.
- Fotіna, G.A. (2014). Viznachennya toksichnostі preparatu "Bі-dez" dlya dezіnfektsіi ptakhіvnichikh obiektіv [Determination of the toxicity of the drug "Bi-des" for the disinfection of poultry objects]. Naukoviy vіsnik Lvіvskogo natsіonalnogo unіversitetu veterinarnoi meditsini ta bіotekhnologіy іm. Gzhitskogo – Scientific Bulletin of S. Gzhytskyi Lviv National University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnologies, 16, 2(1), 340-347 [in Ukrainian].
- Burbarelli, M., Merseguel, C., Ribeiro, P., & Lelis, K. (2015). The effects of two different cleaning and disinfection programs on broiler performance and microbiological status of broiler houses. Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science, 17(4), 438-445.
- Kwon, D., Lim, Y.M., Kwon, J.T., Shim, I., Kim, E., Lee, D.H., et al. (2019). Evaluation of pulmonary toxicity of benzalkonium chloride and triethylene glycol mixtures using in vitro and in vivo systems. Environmental toxicology, 34(5), 561-572. http://doi.org/10.1002/tox.22722.
- Lee, H., & Park, K. (2019). Acute toxicity of benzalkonium chloride in Balb/c mice following intratracheal instillation and oral administration. Environmental analysis, health and toxicology, 34(3), 211-219. http://doi.org/10.5620/eaht.e2019009.
- Addie, D.D., Boucraut-Baralon, C., Egberink, H., Frymus, T., Gruffydd-Jones, T., Hartmann, K., et al. (2015). Disinfectant choices in veterinary practices, shelters and households: ABCD guidelines on safe and effective disinfection for feline environments. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 17(7), 594-605. http://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X15588450.
- Paliy, A.P., Ishchenko, K.V., & Dubin, R.A. (2018). Effectiveness of aldehyde disinfectant against the causative agents of tuberculosis in domestic animals and birds. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology, 8(1), 845-850. http://doi.org/10.15421/2018_283.
- Fotіna, T.І., Fotіna, G.A., & Olefіr, І.A. (2014). Dezinfektant Bі-dez™ dlya dezіnfektsіi ptakhіvnichikh primіshchen yaiechnogo napryamku [Disinfectant Bi-des ™ for disinfection of poultry houses of the egg farming]. Vіsnik Sumskogo natsіonalnogo agrarnogo unіversitetu – Bulletin of Sumy National Agrarian University, 6, 77-81 [in Ukrainian].
- Sidorov, K.K. (1967). O nekotoryih metodah kolichestvennoy otsenki kumulyativnogo effekta [On some methods for quantifying the cumulative effect]. Toksikologiya novyih promyishlennyih himicheskih veschestv – Toxicology of new industrial chemicals. (Vol. 9). L.: Meditsina [in Russian].
- Lim, K.S., Rink, K.G., & Glass, H.G. (1961). A method for the evaluation of cumulation and tolerance by the determination of acute and subchronic median effective doses. Arch. Intern. Pharmacodyn. Ther., 130, 336-353.
- Kotsiumbas, I.Ya., Tishyn, O.L., Khomiak, R.V. (2012). Bacteriological properties of Aerosan disinfectant [Bakteriolohichni vlastyvosti dezinfikuiuchoho zasobu Aerosan]. Nauk.-tekhn. biul. DNDKI vetpreparativ ta kormovykh dobavok – Scientific and technical bulletin of the SSRCI of Veterinary Medicinal Products and Feed Additives, 13, No. 3, 4, 211-214 [in Ukrainian].
- CEC (The Council of the European Communities). (2010). Directive 2010/63/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 September 2010 on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes. The Official Journal of the European Communities, L 276, 33-79. Retrieved from http://data.europa.eu/eli/dir/2010/63/oj.
Download full text in PDF